Thursday, January 22, 2015

Soup of the day


Hearty Tomato Red Lentil Soup

Today is grocery shopping day which means that I need to get creative with today's dinner. I work at night so dinner gets made in the afternoon, so yeah dinner is already leftovers when my family eats. 
This soup comes mostly from my pantry and would be even more delicious with fresh tomatoes and herbs. I love tomato soup and enjoy switching it up. The addition of red lentil pretty much goes unnoticed as far as taste is concerned but it is very satisfying because of the protein packed lentil. You can easily adapt this recipe to your liking by swapping vegetable broth for chicken stock to make it vegetarian and also change the flavor with herbs. I love tarragon in tomato soup but basil, cilantro or parsley would be nice as 
well. 

3 large onion chopped
3 celery stalks diced
3 carrots peeled and diced
1tbs olive oil
Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
2 cups dried split red lentil
1 box chicken or veg stock
1 can whole tomatoes diced
I can tomato paste
Additional water
Dried or fresh herbs to taste


Sauté mirepoix in a large soup pot with oil until just tender at medium heat. Toss in lentils, stirring to coat with oil for a few minutes. Add tomatoes, paste, stock and a few cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 30 minutes or so, stirring every few minutes so that the lentils don't stick. Adjust seasoning and add herbs. 
I'm going to buy a crusty baguette and serve with a green salad, perfect January dinner!

No comments: