Friday, March 13, 2015

Puttanesca

This is another dish that I can throw together at any given time, which also means it never comes out the same twice. The one thing that is a given is that there will never be anchovies in it if I'm making it. I absolutely love puttanesca sauce made with anchovies but I am still not over my 23 year pregnancy aversion to the sight and smell of them, therefore I can't cook with them. It's very sad. Fresh tomatoes are my usual go to but none today.  Here is how this one was made:

Olive oil
4-5 cloves crushed and/or sliced garlic
I diced onion
Crushed red pepper to taste
Fresh chopped parsley and basil
Tomatoes- canned diced 
1/2 cup Chopped olives- black, calamata, or oil cured
Roasted peppers chopped
2 tbs capers
1 lb pasta
Grated Parmesan
While pasta water is boiling, Sauté garlic and onion (anchovies too) until tender. Add red pepper flakes, olives, roasted peppers. 
Add tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and simmer over medium heat until the sauce cooks down slightly. 
Toss in chopped herbs and cooked pasta. Serve with grated cheese. 

No comments: