Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Vodka Soup?


Penne vodka soup sans the penne? Tomato soup with vodka? No, I'll just call it Epiphany Soup!
Last week I made vodka sauce for pasta. I stood there tasting it and thought (guiltily) that I could have a big bowl of it without any pasta...it is just that good. I didn't but it seriously crossed my mind. Fast forward to today, June 2nd, 50 degrees and rainy and the afore mentioned epiphany happened. Isn't tomato soup basically the same thing as vodka sauce minus the vodka? Yes, yes it sort of is! I've never made my own creamy tomato soup, it's actually the only soup we eat from a can. Don't judge me. This soup has just a splash of vodka and is much thinner than it's saucy role model but it certainly reminds you of it.   Here's how it went:
1 onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tbs butter
1 tbs olive oil
Splash of vodka
2 big cans diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
Salt & pepper

Fresh basil and parsley chopped
Sauté onion and garlic in butter and oil, season with salt and pepper. Cook until translucent. Splash a little vodka in the pot and add tomatoes and stock. Simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes until some of the liquid evaporates and the tomatoes break down a bit. Remove from heat and emulsify with a hand blender until pretty smooth. 


Return to simmer and add cream, cook for another 10 minutes. Stir in fresh herbs and check seasoning. 

I served this with croutons made from my very favorite carrot tarragon bread made at Chestnut Fine Foods in New Haven. 



No comments: