Thursday, February 14, 2008

Science is so for girls!

A little blog brag for my middle daughter:
She won third place in the science fair!
science fair project
cool props
Third place!
Gabby was horrified to learn this because you see, she had a strategy... do a good enough report and board to get an A but not good enough to get an award. This means she will go on to compete with other schools and Gabby pretty much likes to go through her life blending in being un-noticed. I am very proud, of course!
Hey, while you are here, check out this chicken cutlet from tonight's dinner:
accidental heart shaped chicken cutlet
It was purely accidental that it turned out heart shaped!
I hope you all had a nice Valentine's Day.

4 comments:

debbie said...

Never thought to make heart shaped chicken, I thought hearts were only for meatloaf...Gotta get that Gabby girl some confidence. Hummmm?, who does she remind me of? You go Gabbagirl.

Home ec new Haven said...

I know, I know, she's just like me. Julia got in the "confidence line" twice, Sammy once and Gabby completely missed it.

Junie Moon said...

That heart-shaped chicken cutlet makes me smile. Congratulations to your daughter. Despite her hesitancy to be in the limelight, it's really a great thing that she's showing how well females can do in the sciences.

I wrote my master's thesis using the subject of science and science fiction as part of women's ways of knowing. The bottom line point of it was that women were historically excluded from the field of science (albeit certain exceptions such as Madame Curie) but that we have valid ways of knowing things that are important despite scientists' efforts to discount our inherent knowledge. Sorry, this is a long-winded way of saying that I'm super proud of your daughter, too!

Anonymous said...

OMG! We aren't too many worlds apart. My daughter did this same type of science project last year. Didn't get an award but just wanted to make something that made do! She doesn't like working on projects for too long. Girls! funny creatures......