Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Multi-functional spaghetti squash

I abandoned the grey hat and whipped up this cute one on my night off. I can't wait to see the newborn that will be wearing this! It fits perfectly on this spaghetti squash but I had other plans for it. 

The day before grocery shopping results in my most inventive cooking. Leftover cheese, an open box of chicken broth, a small amount of spinach...
Cheesy baked spaghetti squash

1 squash
1 chopped onion
2 cloves crushed garlic
Olive oil
Chopped spinach
8 oz cheese (I had mozzarella and provolone)
Handful of grated Parmesan 
1/4 cup flour
1.5 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup light cream
Salt, pepper, red pepper

Preheat oven to 375, cut squash in half and remove seeds. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour. Sauté seasoned onion and garlic in oil until wilted and browned. Add flour and cook for a minute. Stir in chicken broth, bring to a boil and add cream. Toss in spinach and shredded or chopped cheese until smooth. When squash is done, (keep oven on) scrape it out of skins with a fork and combine with cheese sauce. Spray a 9x13 pan and transfer squash, sprinkle with parm. Bake 20 minutes and broil top for a few minutes if it doesn't brown. This would be a good enough meal on its own for me but I'm serving it with some chicken and a salad. 

No comments: