Friday, October 02, 2015

What to call this pasta?

Fall mac and cheese, roasted squash baked pasta, cheesy bacon squash penne? All I know is that this might be the best pasta I've ever made. Seriously. If fall had a flavor it would be this for me, you can keep pumpkin spice everything. So here's what's in it:
1squash- carnival, acorn, or small butternut
8 oz pasta cooked al dente 
4 slices bacon
1 onion
2 cups chicken stock
1/3 lb provolone
Grated Parmesan
1/2 cup light cream or milk
1/4 cup flour
Dried rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper
Roast the seasoned squash at 400 until toasty and tender. I started roasting in slices before I planned on this dish, I would have cut it in half otherwise. Remove skin from squash and break it up in bite size chunks when done. Cook bacon until crisp, set aside and sauté onion in grease until carmelized. Season and add flour, cook for a minute. Stir in stock until thickened and add cream and cheese. Stir until melted and remove from heat. Combine cooked pasta with cheese sauce and fold in bacon and squash. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake at 400 until bubbly 10-15 min. Note that I tried to lighten it up with more chicken broth than cream. There is so much flavor going on in this dish that you really don't need it to be any richer. 

On the crafty home front:

Oilcloth wine bags... I'm not sure. 

No comments: