Saturday, November 28, 2015

Zucchini Fritter Corn Bread?

More often than not I invent things in my head and am disappointed to learn they were already a "thing". I'm not sure if this was already a thing but I don't care, it's delicious. Wednesday night I made zucchini fritters for a late dinner and ended up with about 2 cups leftover, I really thought I could incorporate it into one of the 652 dishes I was making for thanksgiving. That didn't happen. 
This morning I was making jalapeño cheesy corn bread for Julia and remembered the batter, I crossed my fingers and went for it! The end result was a yummy, cheesy, moist corn bread. 


Here's how it went:
Zucchini Fritters
3 small zucchini, shredded and drained. 
3 chopped mini sweet peppers 
2 chopped scallion
1/4 cup frozen roasted corn
Salt and pepper
2 beaten eggs
1/4 cup flour
Heat a frying pan with a little veg oil, drop forkfuls of batter and cook until golden on each side. Serve with chili powder seasoned sour cream and a squeeze of lime. 
Ok, save 2 cups of the aforementioned batter and go and make a basic corn bread recipe. Heat the oven to 400.  Here's mine:
1 cup flour
3/4 cup corn meal
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbs sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 beaten egg (usually two but there's egg from the fritter batter)
1 cup milk
1/4 cup veg oil 
I diced jalapeño 
A big handful of shredded Jack 
Get that all mixed together and toss in the fritter batter and combine. 
Melt a tbs of butter in a cast iron skillet, pour the batter in and bake for about 30 minutes. The center should be set and the knife should come out clean when you test it. It is very moist due to the zucchini and cheese, so don't be nervous when you cut into it. 
So good. 

No comments: